Re: baja

From: Bob Galvan (kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Mar 20 1997 - 21:40:04 PST

Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 21:40:04 -0800 (PST)
From: Bob Galvan <kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: baja

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Kirk Lindstrom wrote:

> Bob,
> Is this a problem mainly at or near the Border towns? I flew down last
> month in a small plane (to see whales and Indian cave paintings and sit
> on a beach or fly) and we were not bothered and everyone was very nice.
> Seemed to me the US Mordida, er taxes, to cross the border in a plane
> were the worst.

Reports on the Amigos web site indicate that TJ and Ensenada are getting
pretty bad, and that the practice seems to be spreading even to the Ag
Inspection station near Guerro Negro. There are also reports of blatant
robberies in Mexico City - cops and cabbies robbing tourists and
residents alike. Go check it out yourself, it's a great site, but it is
making me a bit nervous about the next trip. I plan on bringing some
pepper spray, and I'm still mulling over the bogus bill plan.

Disclaimer: I have never personally paid a Mexican mordida, nor been in a
situation that suggested it.

let us splash, and wash away the fear
Bob