Re: Where to sail in Tomales Bay ?

From: Bob Galvan (kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Mar 14 1997 - 19:31:23 PST

Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 19:31:23 -0800 (PST)
From: Bob Galvan <kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Where to sail in Tomales Bay ?

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, Alain Dumesny wrote:

> I'm thinking of going up towards Tomales bay for the weekend and was
> wondering where the good spots to sail there are ? I'm looking for wave
> sailing...I usually go to Davenport on the coast or 3rd ave in the bay (close
> to work).
>
> I've gone up to Point Reyes once in the past (a drive from the south bay :)),
> and noticed some people windsurfing - near a motel - but the wind didn't look
> that strong and the water was pretty flat. Pleople had slalom/race stuff. Are
> there spots out there for wave sailing ?
>
> Also, any recomendation for inexpensive places to stay ? I'm thinking of some
> cheaper motels in town. I don't mind driving 30+ minutes...

Your description sounds like BODEGA Bay, but anyway, here's the deal:

Wavesailing: Limantour beach/Tubamancha. Nearest towns are Olema and
              Point Reyes Station. On the ocean near south end of
              Tomales Bay. One real cheap place to stay out there is the
Point Reyes Youth Hostel, 5 minutes from Limantour. Just about
everything else is hoity-toity.

              Dillon beach. Faces north, at the mouth of Tomales Bay.
Not for timid, rumored to be the sharkiest place around. Northwest wind
is onshore, but the beach curves almost 90 degrees. Beachbreak and an
offshore bar.

             Bodega Rock. Launch from Doran State Park, sail way outside
beyond the rock. Huge waves break out there on a huge swell. Beware the
windshadow of Bodega Head. Heavy spot.

Slalom: Limantour again. Something for everyone here, can be
        really cold, both on and off the water.

        Tomales Bay. There are several spots to launch along the eastern
shore. Millerton Point is a new State Park that sometimes has sorta-waves
as the whitecaps meet the gently sloping bottom at the point. Can be big
fun. Grassi Point (yes with an i) an unmarked wide spot in the road,
short trail down to the point, which is a nice rigging/sunbathing area.
Nick's Cove, by the restaurant of the same name. I recommend the fried
oysters. I think there is one more somewhere... Watch the tide.
Dropping tide makes ebb, which goes opposite the NW wind. Wind is fluky
on the west side. Watch for sticks and floats in the water, this is
oyster farming area.

        Bodega Bay. There are several launch sites in the bay. Two in
Doran Park (plus semi-protected ocean sailing), one at the Bodega Yacht
Club just off hiway 1, one near Spud Point Marina across the bay. BB can
be excellent for beginners/intermeadiates/trick practice cuz there's acres
of standup depth water (at times). Again, bring serious rubber suits and
a weed fin. Watch for boat traffic. (Hit the wakes)

kasplash one for me,
Bob