Re: Feedback on ABK

From: Naomi Morita (morita@corsair.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Mar 11 1997 - 13:01:40 PST

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 14:01:40 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: morita@corsair.com-DeleteThis (Naomi Morita)
Subject: Re: Feedback on ABK

>I am considering sending my wife to an ABK clinic during the
>summer. I would appreciate any feedback about the level of
>instruction and the potential to improve skills by attending.
>Also, what do you do if it does not blow during the class?

If the wind does not blow (much), there's lots of light-air stuff that they
teach. BTW, this stuff is good for your general windsurfing skills, too
(it's fun to "impress" the beach jockeys with your "tricks").

>My wife is an ex-ski racer who won the Junior Olympics 3
>times, so she is very athletic. She can water start with ease
>and wants to learn how to get in the straps/harness with ease.
>My attempts to teach were not.....er.....very succesfull. I am hoping
>that a clinic may be able to get her up the learning curve faster.

The part I like about ABK (I am a reasonably athletic woman) is that they
stress the finesse aspect of windsurfing--this approach is very well suited
for my 110 lb, no-upper-body strength limitations. Windsurfing was alot
more comfortable for me (meaning I felt more