Re: Flat sails

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sun Mar 02 1997 - 23:02:35 PST

Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 23:02:35 -0800 (PST)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Flat sails

> His recommendation for overpowered is to partly flatten the sail to
> reduce the power, but still keep a curve. You don't want the full bodied
> curve, since you don't need that power, but you don't want it flat either.

This is certainly my experience. I find that I can usually handle
higher winds by adding 1/2" to 1" of extra outhaul. Too much definately
causes the sail to be harder to handle.

I was reminded of this just a couple of weeks ago when my 5.4 was being
overpowered (back-hand pull) in my usual setting, and found that 3/4" of
extra outhaul (one boom notch) made the sail very hard to keep in trim.
3/8" extra was much easier to handle than the other two cases.

I tend to downhaul maybe 1/4" extra when I am woriied about being
overpowered, but I have not changed my downhaul in the middle of a
session lately.

"Zer are technical zolutions." -- Edward Teller, 1983, on the subject
                                            of nuclear war