preseason tuba practice

From: Bob Galvan (kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Feb 13 1997 - 09:17:56 PST

Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 09:17:56 -0800 (PST)
From: Bob Galvan <kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: preseason tuba practice

Zeev was on the job and alerted me to the forecast wednesday night

I gutted a chicken and examined the signs carefully.
hmmmm, I says, this might work...
I had just gotten the rax on the new van that very day.

the AM sensors looked promising, zeev called and said he's going, so I
went too. 10:30 departure. all the way out it was calm and beautiful.
even at the top of Inverness Ridge, still calm. I stopped and dug out the
binoculars.

Whoa-ho! Yes mama there are whitecaps all over Drake's Bay. and outside
it's Victory at Sea!

I started out with the 8'8/4.7/big fin, got a couple nice flights right
away, but outside I really had my hands full. What to do? It's a long
walk back to the truck, I think swapping both board and sail will do me in.
I opt for the board swap, a 9" fin and max downhaul. Ahhhh, that's the
ticket.

I make a beeline for the waves. I get there just fine, find the Steam
Engine exposed again, and it's REALLY WINDY! gotta be 30-35. I buzzed
around a bit, caught a couple waves, make some carefull jibes, went in
to catch my breath and drink a V8. Relaunched and immeadiately got worked.
When I finally got back on my feet I decided I was just on the edge of
control here, it was really choppy, and I better head back. Zoom!

Back down the beach, I found myself in control once again, went back'n
forth with Zeev for a while, jumping chop both ways, caught one nice
shoulder high wave. Strength fading, went in about 3:30.

was a awesome day,
kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis