Hybrid boom

From: Edward Wilson (ed@sun-valley.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis)
Date: Sat Apr 06 1996 - 16:19:29 PST

To: jrunge@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Hybrid boom
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 1996 16:19:29 -0800
From: Edward Wilson <ed@sun-valley.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis>

I read recently that someone else has had success putting
a Chinook head on fiberspar booms. I did this almost
2 years ago after my Aluminum fiberspar head broke. I had
the spare Chinook head, and the booms were in almost
perfect condition, so I figured I'd try to save them.

It turned out to be pretty easy and worked very well.
The carbon booms are a perfect fit (diameter and anlele
-that's angle). I secured them with 8 stainless steel
screws in holes that I tapped into the aluminum and carbon.

It held up fine until a couple of weeks ago, when the
Chinook head started to break gradually. It just gfelt
less stiff than usual, and when I inspected it at the end
of the day, I noticed some cracks in the Chinook head.

I will buy a new head and do this again, next chance I get.

By the way, the brand new Fiberspar boom I received on
warranty replacement is still sitting in Imy closet. I

trust the Fibernook more than that one.
If anyone is interested in buying a never-been-used still-wrapped-
in-plastic Fiberspar boom, let me know.

       Ed Wilson

ed@sun-valley.stanford.edu-DeleteThis
415-577-0233