sunday sunday sunday

From: Bob Galvan (kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sun Feb 04 1996 - 22:12:34 PST

Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 22:12:34 -0800 (PST)
From: Bob Galvan <kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: sunday sunday sunday

Day #3
Sun Feb 4 1996
Pillar Point, Linda Mar

Checked all the spots going south. Crissy dead, OB SW 30, nobody out at
Kelly's, found 4 sailors at Sloat. Waves manageable, but really not
looking too fun to ride. Massive current with south wind. Sara launches
4.4, never gets out, just washes north. Two other guys launch 4.4, come
back soon to rig down. I head south. Sharp Park pier S 35, but waves too
gnarrly and lonely. Linda Mar looking clean and hollow, I walk down to
the water to check the wind, not enough. HMB is packed, I'm lucky to get
a parking spot. Suit up first, cuz it's raining. Rig 4.7/8'8, 11" fin.
It's a dead onshore launch, but I'm well powered and the chop is very
small. so I make it out to the the fun zone quickly. Wind is nice and
steady, cycling up and down slowly and gradually. I'm zoomin, doing nice
planing jibes. When the wind is up it's about all I can handle, if the
water was rough I'd be crying, but it's flat enough that I can push the
limit. After half an hour I go in to get the 8'2" but find Tony on the
beach. He's raving about Linda Mar, twists my arm a bit, and we go.

Linda Mar is more windy now, I go back to the 4.7/8'8, but put my big swept
back weed/race fin on for upwind power in the offshore wind and some turn
control in the surf. The wind is gusty big time; from pick-you-up-and-
slap-you-down OPed to sink-the-tail slog dogging. It's really exhausting
going from hula to hangon over and over, but we persevere and catch a few
nice crossoff, down the line lefts, a real novelty around here, but a
sailing mode I crave. Since I'm a goofy foot surfer I love going left and
facing the wave - that's my direction! Alas, while getting rinsed inside,
my mast snapped. It was a tough swim in through a nearshore rip, a long
upwind walk back to the truck, and a real struggle to rerig the
sand-splattered gear in the rain. But I went back out. Wind had backed
off a bit, especially in the surf zone. Went in after about 20 minutes.

2 other guys had come and gone while we were out, one local named Bruce
was still going strong when we left. We heard he typically sails 4 hours in
these conditions. One more guy launched as we left about 4pm.

Bob Galvan
kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis