Re: Berkeley Stormsailing

From: Jay Runge (jrunge@netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Jan 16 1996 - 15:24:08 PST

From: jrunge@netcom.com-DeleteThis (Jay Runge)
Subject: Re: Berkeley Stormsailing
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 15:24:08 -0800 (PST)

225 and 247 are the usual summer wind directions for Berkeley, so
you can launch from the dock as usual. Sometimes the storm wind comes
from 180, the waves get big around the docks and just walking your
gear down to the end of the dock can be a thrill. When the wind
is very southerly, the reach is from the freeway to the restaraunt
but still very sailable.

In storms, sometimes the wind is better at Alameda and sometimes the
wind is at Berkeley. This is the big decision to make. Once you have
decided to sail berk, you can decide the best launch: off the docks,
beach by ashby ave, or out on the point by the restaraunt.

I guess I am getting old, I wimped today. I did discuss it with
myself ("you're gonna need the 8'6", you better take the 3.7...").

Jay