Re: Berkeley Stormsailing?

From: Michael Schuh (schuh@faf4.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Jan 16 1996 - 13:56:00 PST

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 13:56:00 -0800 (PST)
From: schuh@faf4.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis (Michael Schuh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Berkeley Stormsailing?

I sailed Berkeley storms when I lived in Oakland 8 years ago. They are
fun. I have sailed parallel to the pier from I-80 to past the end of the
pier. I remember one storm in particular where we all launched from the
Ashby exit area (I think it is Ashby. It has been 8 years). It was a
fun time except for the sleet and the way it suddenly went from 4.8 wind
to glass. I was happy I was close to shore. There must have been 50 boards
sailors swimming in after it shutdown. So I have learned not to sail much
further out than I am willing to swim in while sailing in storms. I have also
come across large pieces of lumber in the water during storms so keep your
eyes open.

Michael