Baja

From: Gib Cooper (bambugib@harborside.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Jan 09 1996 - 21:44:01 PST

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 21:44:01 -0800
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: bambugib@harborside.com-DeleteThis (Gib Cooper)
Subject: Baja

All

Just returned from Baja after a 3 year absence of not getting down there on
an annual basis.

Weather was good, dry, 50-50: good wind-hot no wind.

Spent 5 days at Punta Santa Rosallilita. It is now on the map. A lot of
people stopping in on overnighters. Must be mentioned as hot spot to go to
in the Guidebooks. Now charging $5/night. 2 days of 5.0 East wind with big
swell. 3 days good surfing conditions with 4-6 swell. Don't bug the locals
for lobsters! They are tired of gringoes asking the question.

Bahia Los Angeles was heavenly, as far as the weather. 3 days hot glassy.
Good snorkeling. We had "burro" size lobster dinners with margueritas and
fixings for $20 at Guilluermo's. Lucy is as beautiful and sweet as ever!
New years day kicked in with 2 days of big guy 4.6 and 5.2 speed sailing.
No one made it to the channel!

Out at Punta La Gringa camping area there was 2 camp sites ripped off of a
Fisher bike and another with 2 wetsuits. Beware. The good old days may be
gone. Don't trust the gringos or the Mexicans. Baja has always been a good
place for gringos to hang out to avoid warrants for arrest in USA.

At Celito Lindo trailor park our van was checked out by a tall blond guy
during the night with very suspicious behavior. I think peeping Tom but
could be potential rip off. We were alerted and chased him off. Moved over
to the hotel.

After 3 years of not going there I found a big change in some things and
relatively little in others. Like, gas was scarce, prices usually a little
bit lower than the states but not much. Exceptions are avacados, limes and
alcohol (big Kahlua $4.37)

More gringos are buying up beach front and turning it into little versions
of California off limits beaches. Funny how we want to change everything by
privatizing it.

Happy New Year!

Gib
Tradewinds Surf shop
Gold Beach, OR

  /H\\H H //H
   H /H \ Gib Cooper H\ Voice/Fax: 541-247-0835 /H\\H \
  /H H Tradewinds Bamboo Nursery /H bambugib@harborside.com-DeleteThis / H HH H\
   H\\H\ 28446 Hunter Creek Loop H \ H\H\HH\ H
   H /H\ Gold Beach, OR 97444 H /H H HH H
  /H\HH \\ http://harborside.com/bamboo/ H H HH\\H\
   H HH // H H HH /H
     H H H