Re: Xmas windsurfing?

From: Alain Dumesny (alain@paris.engr.sgi.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Dec 28 1995 - 15:57:47 PST

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 15:57:47 -0800
From: alain@paris.engr.sgi.com-DeleteThis (Alain Dumesny)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Xmas windsurfing?

> From listserv@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis Wed Dec 6 07:34:28 1995

> > Could somebody please suggest a good place to windsurf during Christmas/
> > New Year time?
> >
> I hear Maui gets about a 60% hit rate in December, but it can be SO big
> that there are double mast high waves hitting the North Shore where even
> the easier-to-sail Kanaha is blown out.

I can attest to that. This is the third time that I've gone to Maui in
late november-december time frame. I was just there for 2 weeks (dec
2-17) and had NO wind for the first 9 days ! (I was getting crazy) then
strong winds came for the last 5 days (5.3 to mostly 4.2s). Haaaa....

Some friends were ther around thanksgiving and only had 1 windy day for
the week they were there. I'm glad I went for 2 weeks (it probably blew
a couple more days after I left). The 2 previous years were VERY windy.
You never know....

Also the waves were very big (for me) for 2 days during my stay. About
15+ footers at Hookipa - fun watching surfers ride those wave (no wind).
Summers in Maui are much more predictable (95% in june-Aug)

> Baja can be good. Blows for a few days and then doesn't blow for a few
> is typical. Can be bad or good for weeks also. Supposidly pretty
> predictable if you are a good weather person...I believe you want the
> High to move into the North part of the Gulf of California for it to
> blow in Los Barrilles. There is an airstrip there so you can fly if you
> have a plane on short notice...
>
> Costa Ricca is supposed to be excellent: High wind, but lots of chop at
> Lake Arenal. Cheap accomodations.
>
> Vella and Excursions Extroidinaire offer packages.
>
> > Baja? Margarita? Dominican REpublic?
> >

> > Sergei Burkov, Ph.D.
> >
> Kirk out
> ASD epoxy: 8'8" RKT, 8'11" CS & 9'6" no-nose CS; Mistral CFlex & Malibu
> Wt 213#, Ht. 6'0", Usually sail on SF Bay, Cailf.
> (kirk_lindstrom@sj.hp.com-DeleteThis)

Alain Dumesny |\ Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
alain@sgi.com-DeleteThis | \ 2011 N. shoreline Bvld MS 982
W - 415-933-5250 | o --- Mountain View, CA 94043
Fax 415-390-6056 |-=|> ----
                     -=========- ....shredding San Francisco....