Re: Pacific Ocean Wind Readings

From: Jack Greenbaum (jackg@crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Dec 19 1995 - 11:48:08 PST

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Pacific Ocean Wind Readings
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 11:48:08 -0800
From: Jack Greenbaum <jackg@crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis>

On Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:58:35 PST Will Estes wrote:
> Take a look at this web page:
>
> http://www.vcnet.com/goldcoastwx/examples/nev/day0.gif
>
> It contains an image of the entire Pacific region and shows in very
> useful detail precisely where the strongest winds are. A version of
> this for the California coast would be awesome during summer.

Yes, those are very useful images. They cover much more of the pacific
than the SF State site does (http://squall.sfsu.edu/weather_CA/NP_press.htm).
Great for watching the NPH durring the summer, and tracking storms in
the winter, and probably for predicting swell (although you can get
swell information free from Scripps I believe).

Unfortunately it is a commercial site. He charges about $5.00 a
month. I've checked with the government agency from which he buys the
images. It costs $100/mo + about $45/mo connect time (not including
phone charges) to get the information.

If enough people were interested enough to kick in the money, I'd
volunteer the time/hardware to provide this data. Another way to fund it
would be through SFBA. Is this something that SFBA would be interested
in doing to augment the current weather info resource of wind talkers? I
have all of the info from the data provider, so please email me directly
if you would be interested in the data.

Jack Greenbaum -- Research Engineer, Ricoh California Research Center
Digital: jackg@crc.ricoh.com-DeleteThis | http://www.crc.ricoh.com/~jackg
Analog: (415) 496-5711 voice | 2882 Sand Hill Rd. Suite 115
         (415) 854-8740 fax | Menlo Park, CA 94025-7002