Re: WIND_TALK digest 147

From: Bob Galvan (kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Dec 04 1995 - 09:18:55 PST

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 09:18:55 -0800 (PST)
From: Bob Galvan <kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: WIND_TALK digest 147

> Date: Mon, 04 Dec 1995 08:18:52 -0800
> From: Tom Slattery <TSlattery@macromedia.com-DeleteThis>
> Subject: Baja?
>
> Can anyone provide any info on Baja?

There have been a lot of these kinds of blanket questions here and in
rec.windsurfing lately. I don't get it. Don't you ever read a magazine?
They cover this stuff all the time.

anyway, here are some short answers. pardon my 'tude.

> When are the best months to go? and How hard does it blow?

For what? For where? When can you get your vacation time?
Baja is a huge place with two very different coasts. In general,
the Pacific coast blows spring and summer, the gulf blows in the winter.
Both sides average 75% windy days in season. As anywhere, 4.5-5.0 gets
used the most, but you need a size or two on each side of that to sail
everything.

> Is there wave sailing near Cabo San Lucas?

  What is "near?" I've heard rumors of wave sailing at Cabo Pulmo.

> Is the drive really 20 hours?

  From where to where? What are you driving? We go to a place 300 miles
south of the border every spring, it takes us 10 hours from San Francisco
to the border, and 10 hours to our coastal camp. Figure on averaging 35-45
mph on Mexico 1 below Ensenada. No, I'm not kidding.

For a winter windsurf trip, you don't *have* to go to the east cape.
You could do San Felipe, Bahia de Los Angeles, Punta Chivato, or Bahia
Concepcion. The further south you go, the warmer the weather is likely
to be.

> or should you just fly and rent?

Do you want a cushy vacation or a rugged adventure? It's your call.

> The only thing I've heard is when you go down there, bring
> surfboards, bikes, kayaks, atvs in case there is no wind.

I concur. Learn some spanish too. Every little bit helps.

kasplash@crl.com-DeleteThis