Sailing till after dark

From: Jay Runge (jrunge@netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sun Nov 05 1995 - 12:16:17 PST

From: jrunge@netcom.com-DeleteThis (Jay Runge)
Subject: Sailing till after dark
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 12:16:17 -0800 (PST)

Since I have found that I am not the only one who tried to
stretch the sailing season and sailed till long after dark,
I submit for your inspection this top ten list.

Top Ten reasons why sailing too long and getting back to the
3rd Avenue launch ramp after dark is a GOOD thing:

10. Sailing on the bay at night is mesmerizing, it all changes
    when the sun goes down.

9. Somebody might carry your sail and board up the ramp for you.

8. You know you gave it your all, used all available wind, didn't
    wimp out because you thought you were a little tired.

7. Lots of space in the rigging area. You can put you gear anywhere,
    and you don't have to worry about somebody else's fin spearing
    your sail.

6. If you feel a puff of wind, you don't have to wonder if the wind
    is coming back and maybe you should go back out.

5. You can change out of your wet outfit without trying to hide
    behind a towel wrapped around your middle.

4. Somebody might invite you out for pizza and beer.

3. The 3rd Avenue parking situation will have eased considerably.

2. Someone might have left a cold beer sitting on the bumper of your car.

And the Number One reason why slogging/swimming back to the ramp after
    dark is a GOOD thing...

1. Absolutely nobody asks you: What size are you on? Was it enough?
    Is the wind dropping? Is there more wind in the channel? What
    time does the tide change? Do you think my 4.5 will be enough?
    Did you see Fred? What size was he on? How much do you weigh?
    Is that board an eight six? How many liters is it? Were you
    powered? Do you think the wind will stay up? What size do you
    think I should rig?

Jay

Signing off after another great sailing season. Thanks to the 3rd
Ave crowd, a tremendous bunch of people. Didn't we have a time!

Wait! the pager just beeped!