Re: recommendations for light wind board

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Oct 27 1995 - 15:24:55 PDT

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 15:24:55 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: recommendations for light wind board

> > I've gone over the handlebars more in the first 4 sessions with this
> > board than I did in the previous year.
>
> has it been primarily catching edges while just sailing or when trying
> to jibe?

It's almost always when I catch a rail after spinning out. This board
doesn't spin out all that often, but due to the sharp rails and fat
tail it will throw you if you don't correct quickly. The doctor will
tell you, "Then don't spin out". Just a few times I have buried a rail
in a swell.

> how many litres is your board?

I asked John Miller and he said "Gee, it feels good to me, gee,
what size do *you* think it is?" We agreed it must be 110+-10 liters.
I'm 185#, he's 190.

> should the volume be a direct linear relationship to rider weight (in
> general)?

I think the volume needed has as much to do with ability as with weight.
For a given wind, the volume I need to be comfortable has steadily
declined over the years. In slogging conditions, you'd think the right
volume might vary directly with weight, but then I saw Brad Duffy slog
by knee-deep the day of the last speed check I went to and he looked
perfectly comfortable that way!

"Now is the winter of our discontent" -- Richard III, Act I, Scene1, Line 1

Only 156.943 more days until the season starts.