Oyster/Smokin' Sherman III

From: Edward W. Scott (shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Oct 23 1995 - 12:19:06 PDT

Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 12:19:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Edward W. Scott" <shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Oyster/Smokin' Sherman III

__Oyster, Friday 10/20__

Finally bailed from the office mid-afternoon, and since 3d was weak at
best, continued north towards Oyster. Hit the water about 4:00, but it
was already happenin' and half a dozen sailors already out at Tigers.
Fog was already completely filled in in the gap, and all the way up to
the Bay's edge. Sailed 5.5/9.0, powered to overpowered till 6:00. Fog
kept oscillating back and forth all afternoon, causing gusty, but fun
slalom conditions. Small 6" chop, and some air to be had, but overall
just speed reaches all the way.

__Windy Cove, Sunday 10/22__

Called the talker at 10 pm Sat. Zero to 10 averaging 6. Called at 11:15
- 19-40 averaging 31 at 337. The north winds kicked in, called Robyn,
"See ya at Windy Cove, flood starts at 9:50."

Got there at 9:30. Four sailors out on 3.3-4.2. It's raging and the
guys on 4-somethings are getting killed. Dust from adjoining fields
combined with the spray from the river is creating an eerily mistly
environment. The river is capped all the way across and the gusts are
darn near blowing me over. CotW is reporting 19-34 avg. 25. It sure
looks like it. Even the guys on 3.3's are having trouble once they hit
the windline.

I go with the 3.5 MP on my skinny. The tail of my 8'6" Pintail doesn't
even stay in the water. Monstrous swell just off the launch making for
some spectacular port jumps. A couple of guys are trying to loop, but
it's just too gosh-dang windy. I get slammed all the way across and
getting air is too easy. I go back in and RAF out and flatten my sail
completely. Robyn splits cause her 3.6 is too big.

It stays solid 3.5, but gusty until about 12:00. I take frequent breaks
cause I'm getting beaten up. The wind simmers down a bit, and the swell
moves to the main channel. Once it backs off a bit getting and
controlling the air is much easier, especially with the skinny. For once
it's nice to be able to catch air and actually land where you want. It's
also nice to sail the river on port jumps instead of the usual starboard.

On one break I ask my friend Mike if he's seen Eleanor. She comes
limping up having majorly tweaked her front foot. It looks broken, and
the ranger in the park (who's checking parking permits - pay your $5!) is
kind enough to splint it up for her.

It backs off to 4.0 and theyn 4.4. It finally shuts down for all intents
and purposes at 2:30 when the gusts are fine on the 4.4, but the slogging
sucks. I pack it up and go home, thoroughly worked, but grinning all the
way.

     Ed Scott ShrEdding SF Bay
     shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis ..Windwing/ASD..