Re: Re[3]: Smoking Sherman Il. -still in the afternoon

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Oct 05 1995 - 09:07:21 PDT

Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 09:07:21 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Re[3]: Smoking Sherman Il.  -still in the afternoon

> What is the wind forecast for this weekend at Rio and other Bay Area
> sites?

For long-range trends (2-5 days out), I still rely on the TV
weatherpeople. I have not found an online source that describes this
time very well.

They say it looks like a return to normal - fog at the coast, so I guess
possibly sailable winds in the Bay. And maybe not.

But forecasting wind two days ahead during changing weather is just
guessing. Heck, this Tuesday, NWS (and Windsight) called for 14 knots
at SFO in the morning forecast and it went to 20; NWS called for 14
knots on Wednesday and got 4.

"Accuracy in weather forecasting is like accuracy from a psychic: the
more vague the prediction, the higher the hit rate. The only completely
accurate predictions are the completely useless ones."
                                    -- Ken Poulton

"Forecast for tonight: dark." -- George Carlin