howling @3d

From: Jeff Hodges (hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Oct 04 1995 - 08:05:35 PDT

Subject: howling @3d
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: Iris Renner <iris@corp.sgi.com-DeleteThis>, dan@moondog.remedy.com-DeleteThis, Tom Bonomo <tomb@peer.com-DeleteThis>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 95 08:05:35 -0700
From: Jeff Hodges <hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis>

HOOOOOOWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Got to 3d at 4:30p. Jim Paugh was busily rigging a 5.3 (!) -- he's 200#+ After
a quick consultation we figgered 4.2 would be about right for me (150#), but I
went with 4.7 given that it was starting to flood and I was going to use my
7'11". Down & outhauled the snot out of it and it was perfect. Washing-machine
stuff getting out to the channel, then smoother riding and some nice waist-high
sets once out there. On the water at 500p. The little board felt right at home
out there. So much easier to keep on the water & handle in those conditions
than my 8'8 cfx. Tons of power, filled-in for most part, tho I did find a hole
or two out there. Was on far side of channel at 600p and headed back in
remembering the huge wind shadow at coyote on Sat. Sure enuff, was slogging
when about 1/2 back from channel marker, and then fell in about 100-200m from
launch. Many other folks also doing the hula back. Wind was really up & down by
then and I managed to get up & slog a bit more and then simply got out the tow
line, fastened it to my harness and the mast base and had a nice little swim
towing the rig. Backstroke works pretty well as does breast. Way faster than
doing the sidestroke thing with one hand on board. Several others were also
swimming the last little bit. Folks were overall stoked at having such a
gorgeous, windy, warm afternoon sail on 3-Oct!

Jeff