Re: WIND_TALK digest 97

From: Pochski@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri Sep 29 1995 - 21:08:24 PDT

Date: Sat, 30 Sep 1995 00:08:24 -0400
From: Pochski@aol.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: WIND_TALK digest 97

I just read this on rec.windsurfing. Wow! Probably the single most
influential reason I'm not sailing on the ocean.

Subject: GREAT WHITE ATTACK AT DAVENPORT
From: benjamin@novell.com-DeleteThis (Benjamin Cristi)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 1995 02:55:49 GMT

A windsurfer was attacked at Davenport CA just outside the downwind
break, around 5:15PM today (fri 9/29/95). He had just completed an
outside jibe and was not yet planing, when, without warning the shark
bit and held onto the back of his board. He jumped off and swam away,
then moments later when the shark let go, swam back to his rig and sailed
in.

There were teeth marks on both rails of the board, on one side between
his rear and front straps, and on the other side near the fin, a span
of maybe 2 feet. Just about everyone came in right after. A few stayed
out, no doubt due to the primo conditions (I was planing on a 4.7, and
the sets were well overhead).

The victim is fine (thank God), suffering only a slight cut on his
foot. This could have happened to anyone of us.

Ben Cristi (bcristi@novell.com-DeleteThis, 408-744-1020)