Maui Report

From: bob smith (73551.2745@compuserve.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Sep 20 1995 - 17:27:29 PDT

Date: 20 Sep 95 20:27:29 EDT
From: bob smith <73551.2745@compuserve.com-DeleteThis>
To: multiple recipients of l <Wind_Talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Maui Report

I have read some comments recently that included information regarding
accomodations at a sailing spot in Maui by the name of Andy's Cove. I was lucky
enough to have a freind let me know about this spot over five years ago, and I
have been back three times since I spent my honeymoon there in 1990.

To those who have been on the coast of Maui when a real swell come through, you
know that it is difficult to describe just how awesome it can be. Andy's Cove
has a killer break right in front of the launch that starts working on a three
foot swell. There is excellent wave sailing downwind at Sprecks, and upwind at
Secrets. No wind?...Bring your surfboard and catch good lefts and rights on the
point break in front of your pad.

Yes....if you have stayed in the tropics, you know that there is plenty of
natural life, including skeeters, geckos etc. Since the managers do not poison
the place like some of the large resorts might, you may come into contact with
more than you wish. There isn't any air conditioning, and it can be difficult
to acclimatize to the environment. However, armed with some Cutters, I had no
problem with sleeping or the skeeters.

These properties used to be managed by a guy named Ron. It was difficult to get
a confirmed reservation, and the accomodations needed some improvements.
However, Ron was a sweetheart of a guy; willing to bend over backwards to assist
his guests. You did feel like you were his personal guest. During my honeymoon
stay he even gave me a ride back to the airport...BBQ'ed some fish....etc.

The current managers are Quint and Renata Stevens. They have maintained the
warm feeling that Ron started, and most of the guests are repeat customers.
They have put a tremendous amount of time and money into improving the
accomodations. Each time I have been back, there have been substantial capital
improvements. That is nice and all; but I came for the wind and surf. When I
come back from dropping into a mast high face with a freind or two at the
offshore break, I really don't care if the lawn has been watered.

The previous report on this spot was from a freind of mine, and I can understand
his perspective. However, I do not believe that he ever approached Quint or
Renata with his problems during his stay. If he would have, I know for sure
they would have gone out of thier way to accomodate him. I must say that I
hesitated to respond since the previous posting might serve to keep people away
that have expectations of a Kanapali resort on the North Shore. If that is what
you need, this may not be the spot for you. However, if you are a fellow surf
rat, I think you will find the ambience much to your liking. It simply isn't
fair to discount this spot based on the expectations and disappointments of one
sailor who may have not shared his discomfort with managers who have shown
consistent commitment to thier tenants' having a good time.

I give this place a thumbs up regardless if you go in the summer for wind, or
winter for swells.

Aloha...

Bob Smith