Re: Pilot Error? (Soft Board in footstrap area)

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Sep 06 1995 - 06:56:15 PDT

Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 06:56:15 -0700
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Pilot Error? (Soft Board in footstrap area)

> I noticed this weekend that my one remaining board, my ASD Pintail 8'6",
> is starting to get soft immediately adjacent to my footstraps. This is a
> glass board (unlike my Seatrend, which was epoxy), and it is only 1 year
> old, with probably no more than 30 sessions behind it, if even that. I
> seem to recall George at ASD mentioning that the softness in the footstrap
> area of my Seatrend which I had repaired earlier this season was due to
> "pilot error." That is, he stated (and I'm paraphrasing here), that when
> I moved back into the straps, that I was "stomping" down as soon as the
> board got up onto a plane.

This sounds like a load of bullsh*t to me! Stomping down as you get into
your foot straps?! Pounding through chop on a full plane, and jumping by
far put the stress on the heel area of the board.

> Any suggestions on technique, or does this sound like a construction
> defect?

1 year old, with 30 days on it? Sounds like it's at least worth talking to ASD
about it. That would be unacceptable to me!

> Obviously, I'm jumping quite a bit now, and I'm not a lightweight
> (approx. 185 lbs + or - some, depending upon beer consumption), so that's
> probably contributing to the premature failure. It's worst on the port
> tack (left side of the board) and it's immediately adjacent to the front
> and rear footstraps, near and on the rails, where my feet rest when I'm in
> the straps. Because it's on the port side, jumping must be contributing
> since that's where I'm doing all the jumping in the Bay. Also, I don't
> have jump-pads.

Port tack on the bay is also the chop pounding tack. Starboard, you are
running with the chop/swells. All of this will contribute to softening
in the heel area. Jump pads are a must! Give you knees and ankles a
break! They will help absorb the pounding of jumping and chop. I even
put them on my slalom board, which I don't really jump (well, not much,
at least :)

> If this keeps up, I may be springing for a custom board with extra-beefy
> construction, irregardless of price.

Hmm, interesting concept ;)

~Jim