GORGE (nuclear) report

From: A. Cimatti (cimatti@igpp.llnl.gov-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Sep 05 1995 - 17:06:43 PDT

Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 17:06:43 -0700
From: cimatti@igpp.llnl.gov-DeleteThis (A. Cimatti)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: GORGE (nuclear) report

Hi !

I took a plane from Oakland to Portland on friday afternoon, rented
a car and went to Hood River. Friday evening was extremely warm,
with no wind at all. I was pessimistic and depressed.

SATURDAY Sept 2nd :

I wake up... still no wind ...
I have breakfast and I see some trees moving a little bit.
I go east, to The Hatchery & Swell City, but the wind is not
really strong and many people are sailing with 5.5 or bigger.
I wait.
The wind picks up and I start sailing at 2pm with 5.0+8'6" board.
at The Hatchery : great steady wind and nice swells.
After one hour the wind REALLY picks up and I sailed the rest
of the afternoon with 4.2 + 8'6", often overpowered, with
great ramps for high jumps.

SUNDAY Sept 3rd :

The wind has blown all night long. I go to The Hook in the morning
and I sail fully powered with 4.2 + 8'6". I decide to go upwind
to The Hatchery. I do it in 20 minutes, BUT I have to go back soon
because the wind is much stronger there and I am totally overpowered.
So, I continue to sail at The Hook with my 4.2.
At 3pm... the real nuclear wind arrives at The Hook : I derigg the
4.2 and rig the 3.6. I have one hour of pure nuclear fun, but
after one hour I become overpowered also with the 3.6.
I do very high jumps and I decide to try the table top : a disaster.
I fall very bad on the rig and break the main panel of the 3.6.
But I continue to sail for half hour, still overpowered,
although I have a big "hole" in the sail.

MONDAY Sept 4th :

there was still wind, I guess 4.5 conditions, but I was with
other people and I had to be a "normal" tourist for one day
and went to Mt St Helen....

Conclusion : this was my first time at the Gorge. I had two
days of pure and steady strong wind, and a lot of fun jumping
and riding the swells. Really a great spot !!!!!!!!!

Andrea (6'3" x 195 pounds)