Re: Anyone Know Jennifer at Crissy Field

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Aug 29 1995 - 13:01:47 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Anyone Know Jennifer at Crissy Field
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 13:01:47 -0700 (PDT)

'Luigi Semenzato says:'
> > Geez luiz, folks. Does anyone else think that we should do a little
> > pro-bono work here and get the Coast Guard on-line? I mean, what does
> > it take to get them a cheap PC with a modem and account on AOL or
> > Netcom with Netcruiser? I can't believe that they don't have direct
> > access to these resources.
>
> I am not sure they have a use for it. In this case they were trying
> to find out if Jennifer had made it to shore so that they could stop
> the search. I suspect that the percentage of local windsurfers on
> this list is still fairly small. The list of SFBA members is a lot
> more useful. Can anybody comment on the number of SFBA members
> vs. wind-talk subscribers? ---L

I guess I disagree. Why couldn't the Coast Guard issue alerts to this
list and others, when a windsurfer is missing? The community is
small, and it seems like it would serve two purposes: a) reduce the
time required to notify others; b) take some of the burden off of Ken
and others who run these lists. It shouldn't be Ken's job to take
calls from the Coast Guard and turn around and act like a secretary to
transcribe the message. The Coast Guard should be able to communicate
with us directly, and we should be able to respond directly to them.

And, finally, the amount of money we are talking about to support this
functionality for one full year is about what the government is
accustomed to paying for a single screw in the toilet seat of a Coast
Guard airplane. :) In my opinion, they get a lot of added
communication bandwidth for very little money. I think the Coast
Guard should join the rest of us in the last half of the 20th century.
Technology has moved a little beyond them, I think.

--
Will Estes                              U.S. Computer
Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis                POB 3150