Re: Crissy, Re: Third Yesterday 8/24

From: Wouter Dobbelaere (Wouter.Dobbelaere@elis.rug.ac.be-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Aug 25 1995 - 01:47:34 PDT

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 10:47:34 +0200
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: Wouter.Dobbelaere@elis.rug.ac.be-DeleteThis (Wouter Dobbelaere)
Subject: Re: Crissy, Re: Third Yesterday 8/24

justin@booza.mcm.com-DeleteThis (Justin Gordon) wrote:

>Crissy 5:00-7:40
>Powered on a 5.5, 265 Saxo and later on 285 Sputnik, (200#)
>Very strong winds considering that I *RARELY* sail anything less
>than a 6.0 and it was flooding.
>
>Wind was up and down and seemed ready to die at 6:15. Later it picked up very
>strong, with the strongest wind near the beach (which is particularyly helpful
>for sailing until dark)
>
>I disagree about large fins. I like to use a small board, small fin, and
>often a large sail. My 265 Saxo is only 80L and it rides fine with a 6.0.
>
>However, with a flood tide and very smooth water, I
>always like to sail a bigger board, which has a 13.4" blade.
>
>Large fins feel a bit slower to me and also harder to control.
>Is that true, or just my perception?
>
>Justin

Hi Justin,

As soon as wind gets 'strong enough' large fins ARE slower (especially half-
& downwind), and sure they are harder to control then.

With my SpeedMate Surf I could really see the facts about that. It really
shows me exactly what makes me slower, and what makes me faster! No guessing
anymore for me!

Regards,
Wouter.