Re[2]: towing -- self rescue ideas

From: sdubois@advent.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue Aug 22 1995 - 14:45:51 PDT

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 95 13:45:51 PST
From: sdubois@advent.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re[2]: towing -- self rescue ideas

     Rigs only float when they are attached to boards.

     Many of us have been surprised with the speed at which a sail can
     sink. I lost one a long time ago at Flying Tigers and I found it 5
     days later during a really low tide (talk about MUD MAN).

     Here is what I do on these mast-breaking lucky days:

     - Detach the boom first and put it on the top of the board (with the
       rest of the rig still passed through the middle of the boom )
     - If the mast is broken then remove the top section by pulling it out
       of the sleeve. Put it on the board and boom. Tie it to the boom
     - Detach the downhaul and try to use the line to secure the mast base
       to the mast (it's not easy)
     - Proceed to the tip of your sail.
     - Pull out the sail one bit at a time and roll it as you pull it. Make
       sure not to let the board go away.
     - Bring back the sail at put it on the top of the boom.
     - Grab the bottom section of the mast.Leave the mast base in place.
     - Complete tying the boom, sail, mast pieces together to the mast
       base.

     For what it's worth...
     Stephane