Re: fake news and the SFBA newsletter

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Aug 21 1995 - 11:33:01 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: fake news and the SFBA newsletter
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 11:33:01 -0700 (PDT)

'Jeff Hodges says:'
> perhaps option 1 should be reworded...
>
> "We are sorry. The article `Salt Ponds etc.' in our August newsletter was not
> published in the SJMN, as stated, but it was a product of the conceited
> imagination of Luigi Semenzato. We admit we blew it by reprinting an article
> without first checking its source, and we apologize to all our members, except
> in particular Luigi Semenzato who intentionally posted misleading, blatantly
> false information to wind_talk and falsely accredited it to the SJNM without
> their permission."
>
> ..but I think it is more Luigi who is owing apologies. Does the word
> "fraudulent" come to mind?
>
> Jeff
>
> fraud-u-lent \-lent\ adj
> (15c)
> :characterized by, based on, or done by fraud: DECEITFUL

I don't find any intent to deceive people in Luigi's original post.
He was trying to make a joke, the way he has done so many times in the
past, usually with amazing success. He is a very talented author and
a very funny guy.

I don't find Luigi's attempt to make a joke a conceited act. The intent
was to be creative and to give us all some enjoyment and humor.

Having said that, I too bought the original story hook, line, and
sinker. If I had to fault Luigi, it would be because he didn't leave
any clue in the original storyline that would have clearly identified
the story as fantasy.

SFBA made some mistakes, and they should just own up to them, without
blaming other people for those mistakes. Even if the story had been
true, it was not good style to quote it without checking its
authenticity. Luigi made some mistakes, and he should just own up to
them, without blaming SFBA for those mistakes.

The local windsurfing community is small enough, and laid-back enough,
that we should be able to just let this water pass under the bridge
and move on.

--
Will Estes                              U.S. Computer
Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis                POB 3150