Re: Bodega Bay

From: WindFinder@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu Aug 17 1995 - 10:55:37 PDT

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 13:55:37 -0400
From: WindFinder@aol.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Bodega Bay

Eric says:
I'm going to BB with my girlfriend this weekend: is there any sailing
     in this region this time of year? Any beginner sites? Anyone heard of
     or stayed at the "Westlake" camp site?

Mike Godsey responds

Usually there is only spotty 6.0 sailing at Bodega in the late summer.
Yesterday and today are exceptions. The peak season is march thur May. The
camping is great. The best place for a sailor is the Doran Beach Campground.
Bodega is one of the best places for learning in the Bay Area since there is
strong winds right on the sandy beaches in the spring for intermediates and
good light winds in the summer for beginners. If you are learning on your own
go to Spud Point inside the harbor. Windwalker Board Sports has a fantastic
lesson program at Bodega call Cliff at 707-874-2331. Windsight has a sensor
right at the launch site on option 58. 1-800-934-2278. The weather radio
report is not reliable. In the spring if the Bodega buoy is blowing it will
blow in the bay later in the day. In the summer synoptic events determine
whether the wind will fill in to the coast. So check the Windsight Bodega
forecast. The Sand Piper restaurant has good food as does the upscale Lucas
Wharf. The water is always cold and there is a lot seaweed insided the harbor
this time of year.

Mike Godsey