Re: EPIRB device for safety?

From: Tom M. Kroeger (tmk@cse.ucsc.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Aug 10 1995 - 10:47:57 PDT

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: EPIRB device for safety?
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 10:47:57 -0700
From: "Tom M. Kroeger" <tmk@cse.ucsc.edu-DeleteThis>

I'm familiar with these devices, and they can be quite useful and
probably a better option than the VHF or Cell, nevertheless these bouys
have the same key problem that flares do, which is you have no way of
testing them until you need them. The cell and VHF offer a much higher
degree of reliability that they'll be there when you need them.

I try and make a habit of blowing off my flares every 4th of July and
more often than not I've had duds. This leaves me with the question
If I falsely think that my flares are there for me if I get stuck out
too far, and then when I do need them (Knock on wood not yet ;-)
They turn out to be duds, are such flares more of a hazard than a help?
Same thing would apply with the bouy.

So How many other people test there flares?

                       tmk

Tom M. Kroeger Pray for wind
Graduate Student, UC Santa Cruz \ Pray for waves
e-mail: tmk@cs.ucsc.edu-DeleteThis |\ and Pray it's your day off!
http://www.cse.ucsc.edu/~tmk |~\
(408) 459-4458 |__\
(408) 252-5994 home ,----+--