Windsurf Hawaii Booms -Reply

From: Ben Cristi (BENJAMIN_CRISTI@novell.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Aug 07 1995 - 10:09:08 PDT

Date: Mon, 07 Aug 1995 13:09:08 -0400
From: BENJAMIN_CRISTI@novell.com-DeleteThis  (Ben Cristi)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Windsurf Hawaii Booms -Reply

I had a similar experience this past spring, during one of those gnarly
shorebreak days at Davenport. My rig got pounded hard into the sand,
ripping the mast out of the clamp-on front end and breaking the relatively
new inhaul rope in the process. I guess I lucked out, my powertapers
were ok, and I'm still using/abusing them in the surf.

I sometimes have a gap between my mast and the booms, it depends on
where I rig the booms to the mast, and where the clew of the sail is. This
affects the angle between the booms and the mast (90 degrees equals
no gap). It hasn't caused me any problems so far.

Hmm, maybe you should use old, frayed inhauls, to create a weak or
"sacrificial" link, protecting your booms from further damage.

Ben

>>> Edward W. Scott <shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis> 08/03/95 10:04am >>>

Anyone had any trouble with the Powertapers? On one particularly
violent slam, I busted the boom rope, and torqued the head of the booms.
I have since replaced the boom rope, but for some reason, the booms no
longer sit square on my mast, no matter how hard I crank the line. In
other words, no matter how tight the line is, there is about a 1/32" or
1/16" (don't know if really this big) gap at the top between the mast and
the clamp-on. This results in a lot of play on my booms. The bottom of
the clamp-on is snug against the mast. Btw- I have a Powerex MCS 25,
Carbon 60 (?) 460 cm
RDM mast. The mast does taper above the booms, but it did sit square
before this incident.

Could it be the hinge has been damaged? Windsurf Hawaii says there's
nothing wrong with the booms.

Thanks.

-shrEd
Ed Scott shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis