Thanks for the help at Coyote Point! (fwd)

From: Jeff Hodges (hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jul 17 1995 - 12:39:18 PDT

Subject: Thanks for the help at Coyote Point! (fwd)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 95 12:39:18 -0700
From: Jeff Hodges <hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis>

[forwarded from rec.windsurfing Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 17:05:27 GMT]

Newsgroups: rec.windsurfing
From: shin@slac.stanford.edu-DeleteThis (Harry Shin)
Subject: Thanks for the help at Coyote Point!
Sender: news@unixhub.SLAC.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 17:05:27 GMT

Yesterday, I sailed my old Mistral Tarifa at Coyote Point (CA) since I've
been getting skunked sailing after work as the winds die down. The winds
looked pretty light, but then it picked up a bit and I thought to myself
how I should have used my Seatrend instead. Anyhow, I was sailing along,
experimenting with the foot straps (the Mistral has two complete sets, six
total), and I went out of control for a 9.8 point catapult. The rig and
board separated and by the time I had unhooked, the board was on it's way
to Fremont. I tried to swim after it but quickly realized it was
distancing itself from me no matter how hard I tried to swim after it.
Looking at the options, I recognized that I have a lot more money tied up
in my rig (Neil Pryde 4WD 5.5) than in the board, and I could not get to
the board anyway, so I swam back to the sea anchoring rig. Several people
stopped by to help, and one guy went after the board, but couldn't tow it
back. One guy, "Joe", stayed with me until he was sure I could easily
swim in. Joe eventually dragged my rig in on his back footstrap, and I
swam in from 100 yards. The guy who went after the board had brought it
to shore, so I retrieved it and intended to sail back to the parking
area. Not so! The sliding mast track mechanism had completely exploded,
leaving only bits of white plastic in the track area. I walked the mess
back to my van.

I want to thank those who stopped by to help, and especially appreciative
of Joe, who refused to leave me and even offered to give me his PFD. I
have a lot more respect for the potential problems one can get himself
into, and hope I can repay the favor in the future to help another
windsurfer in trouble.

Harry Shin