Natural Bridges Information

From: Robert R Hain (rrh10@eng.amdahl.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jul 14 1995 - 11:08:27 PDT

From: rrh10@eng.amdahl.com-DeleteThis (Robert R Hain)
Subject: Natural Bridges Information
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 95 11:08:27 PDT

so what's the sailing like at natural bridges? wave or bay-style? how large is
the sailing area? how far from shore? thanks,

Jeff

Will Estes comments are accurate:

  There is a huge dead spot for about 200-300 yards, after which you hit
  the windline big-time. There are huge kelp beds on either side of the
  sailing area, and if you get caught in them you will resemble the
  creature from the Black Lagoon quickly. So hit that windline before
  you get blown downwind and into the kelp.

  --
  Will Estes

The kelp was ripped out by the winter storms but is coming back. Launch as far
up the beach as possible, the wind is usually very dead close to shore making
the trip through the shore break exciting. Swimming out to the wind is not
uncommon. I usually slog upwind after the launch to avoid the kelp beds, I
have even tacked (really fall down and waterstart) back to shore to avoid
the kelp. Get to the channel in the kelp beds upwind of the launch however
possible. After that you have a wide open ocean. There are large swells,
a lot of chop, I see many sailers getting huge air off the swells. I use my
5.3 the most, followed by my 4.7 and 5.9.

The kelp beds do soften the chop in the channel and on the inside, therefore
on the way in you can get some screaming broad reaches on flat water.

If you are caught in the middle of the kelp with a blade or pointer fin the
only way out is to swim through. Its better to turn around work your way
upwind to the channel. You can tell the new people and the ones unwilling to
ask for advice, they sail from the center of the beach straight into the kelp,
and struggle for an hour. I've been in the beds, I now use a weed speed which
helps.

On a busy day you get 15-20 sailors, its getting busier all the time. Outside
there is plenty of room, the channel and inside can get busy. If you get
tired or need to adjust your rig, tie up to some kelp and take your time. I
have found most people to be friendly and helpful.

The Natural Bridges reading on Ken's report comes from Long Marine Lab, which is
plainly visible from the water. (larger water tanks and a building just NW of
the launch)

Have fun,

Bob Hain

rrh10@amail.amdahl.com-DeleteThis