Re: Windcraft Windtalker?

From: WindFinder@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri Jul 14 1995 - 06:37:25 PDT

Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 09:37:25 -0400
From: WindFinder@aol.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Windcraft Windtalker?

Greg asks:

Does anyone know if windcraft's windtalker is not reading right?

Mike's response:

Last time I was up there it looked like their sensor had been moved from the
telephone pole about 150 feet from the river to a nearby house further back
from the river. If this is true it would be in a partial windshadow especilly
when the wind was more southerlly. This may have caused the problem you have
noted.

The Windsight and Call of the Wind sensors have a near perfect siting for WSW
winds, very good siting for SW winds, and read low for spring northerly
winds. In any southerly winds they will both read about 3 to 5 knots high
which may be critical in borderline conditions. Windsight now has Joven doing
frequent cellular reports seven days a week from the river. Joven is usually
the first one on the water since he lives at the launch site so his Dawn
Patrol report is really useful. We also have a 3 day extended Rio forecast
and is remarkably accurate in forecasting the relative strength of morning
and afternoon sessions.

Mike Godsey