Why Crissy dies tuesday

From: WindFinder@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu Jul 13 1995 - 08:53:36 PDT

Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 11:53:36 -0400
From: WindFinder@aol.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Why Crissy dies tuesday

Tom Slattery asks:
Thanks for all your info on the weather. I look forward to your
articles in Windtracks.
Now that I am wind freak and I am very interested in the weather, do
you have a recommended reading list or is there is a mailing list.
I found this little book printed in 1962 called "San Francisco
Weather" - pretty basic, but very informative for the weather novice.
 It mentions a triple inversion that sometimes happens in the fall and
if you are looking at boat across the bay, it would appear upside
down. Have you ever seen this and also how do you read the oakland
radio beacon sounding for the inversion.

Also, Crissy shut down Tuesday around 4 PM and there appeared to be
jet stream clouds passing. Is that why it shut down?Hi Tom

Mike Godsey responds:
Yea I have seen the images. It is really common in Baja in the summer when
entire islands will "float" above the water sometimes inverted.

I was on the beach at Crissy doing Windsight on-site reports tuesday. Yea it
was crazy. At 185 lbs I was on a 4.5 and a 8'6" board around 1:30 then it
died about 4:00. I was able to go out again around 6:00 but I had to pump a
lot to keep on a plane.

We had a 110 knot jetstreak overhead that afternoon. That is why the winds
started so early tuesday. When you see a long streamers of altocirrus/stratus
and a mixed out or absent marine layer expect strong gusty winds with lots of
holes. This is especilly true on days like Tuesday when you could see lots of
ice falls from the clouds. During the afternoon when the land is warm and air
is rising there is a transfer of momentum from the upper level winds to the
surface. By late afternoon surface cooling can decouple the surface winds
from the winds aloft and cause the wind to drop rapidlly. This why we put out
a warning on Windsight tuesday morning to be cautious about going too far
outside at Crissy and 3rd.

George McLean and I will have a book published next year on the WX in the
Bay, Gorge, Baja and Maui.

WX not looking very good next 3 days. Get ready for Rio next monday and
tuesday.

Mike Godsey