3rd Tues

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jul 12 1995 - 02:42:14 PDT

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 02:42:14 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: 3rd Tues

=============== Sun 2 Jul 95 - Rio Vista - 5.2/257,9'0 (185 lb)

Will, Michael and I went to Sherman Island Sat nite and camped under
the powerlines. In the morning, I rigged 5.2/257, Michael 4.8/8'6 and we
sailed the ebb starting around 7:30. Around 9:00 it backed off a
bit and we went to bigger boards. We sailed until it seemed to drop
some more around 10:30, but we were pretty tired by then, too.
It was standard Powerlines conditions: 2-3 foot swell tightly packed on
the south shore and somewhat more widely spaced near the north shore.
People were still sailing (5.5-6.0) when we left around noon.

=============== Wed 5 Jul 95 - Crown Sterling - 6.0,7.0/9'0 (185 lb)

A noon report of 20 knots got Michael out early; I followed around 3:00.
I found the wind had dropped, so I rigged 6.0/9'0. I went out to find
Michael, but never did find him on the water. After a few reaches and
bit of a struggle to get back to shore, Michael came slogging in (from
sailing right next to the runway) on 4.8/8'6 - he had to really work at
it. We then rigged 7.0/9'0 for me and 6.0/8'10 for Michael, but the
wind was still dropping and I slogged most of the time.

=============== Tue 11 Jul 95 - 3rd - 5.2/257 (184 lb)

Despite up and down reports, Paul, Michael and I met at 3rd.
As I came down 92 (between 280 and 101) I could see whitecaps for
4.7 and reports from sailors on the beach confirmed this, despite
much weaker conditions by the shore.

Unfortunately, the wind dropped, so when we got out at 3:45 on 4.7/257
for me and 4.3/8'6 (160 lb) for Michael, we were only marginally
powered. Paul was okay on 5.1. Michael and I came in a rigged up 0.5
m^2 each and this turned out to be perfect, except that we never
found Paul again.

Swell was 3-5 feet, and varied from multi-direction hash (good launching
ramps) to very wide, smooth swells that just cried out "jibe here". The
wind in the channel was actually pretty consistent at the just-powered
level the rest of the day. (For me on this rig, this generally means
about 21 knots and did not agree with wind reports of SFO 18-19 and SoSF
14-17.) We did lots of jumps and about a million jibes (though I only
made about 3/4 million). A couple of times I managed to jibe on a large
breaking swell and then ride out just ahead of the whitewater - a new
and very fun experience for me.

We came in about 6:40. As usual, I slogged much of the way
and Michael managed to plane all the way in. Sigh.
I saw a bunch of other people there (Kirk, Kris, Eric, Nick) but
saw none of them on the water.

It was a fantastic day. It looks like similar conditions will hold for
Wednesday. Go get some!

"I was going a hundred and fifty miles an hour sideways and 500 feet
straight down. I was looking out for the cops. I *knew* what I was doing
wasn't, you know, legal." -- Arlo Guthrie, "The Pickle Song"