Re: Crissy Field Report

From: Leon Snerdgrass (matt@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jun 26 1995 - 19:31:44 PDT

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Crissy Field Report
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 95 19:31:44 -0700
From: Leon Snerdgrass <matt@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis>

> When I was pretty much totally exhausted, I decided to head for the
> beach. Against my better judgement I tried to sneak in upwind of Anita
> rock. (I should have headed for the Coast Guard launch and hitched a
> ride back down to my car). I knew I was in for it when the wind died
> abruptly about 500 yards out from the beach. To slog on the Electron it
> is pretty much neccessary to place one foot in front of the mast, which
> worked for another 100 yards or so but then it was down for the swim.

You can add me to the list of windsurf/swim biatheletes. I also stayed
out too long up by the bridge and ended up swimming my board in. After
I lost balance and fell in the first time, I figured trying to uphaul
would be useless - the wind was so light that slogging seemed
impossible. After swimming 100 yards or so, I saw others uphaul and
sail in so I tried it and it worked.

Another sailor was not so lucky. At 7:40 when I came in, he was between
Alcatraz and the Marina green and someone was notifying the Coast Guard.
Hopefully he either was able to swim to shore or the CG rescued him.

I guess the lesson to be learned here is to pay attention to where the
windline is at your launch site. Although the wind was plenty strong up
by the bridge and by the North tower, it was almost non-existant near
the launch site by the St Francis Yacht Club.

-matt