Re: Danger with Chinook bases--bolts loosen

From: Paul A. Tong (patong@cisco.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jun 19 1995 - 14:39:52 PDT

Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 14:39:52 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: patong@cisco.com-DeleteThis (Paul A. Tong)
Subject: Re: Danger with Chinook bases--bolts loosen

another danger - over time the hole in the bottom of the cup will ovalize
and allow the bolt holding it to the rubber joint to pull through.

you can get more thread pressure on the bolt and hourglass by putting a
small BB or other non-deformable object in the bottom of the hourglass
thread hole so that the bolt has something to "bottom out" against as you
tighten it.

Lastly, try a streamline tendon. these are incredible easy to service and
they exhibit little lateral deflection while sailing.

>> Speaking of; I need to change out my U-joints on a couple of
>> Chinooks, anyone know the best way to break a "red locktite" seal?
>
>Did it just this morning - I just put the hourglass in a vise and
>used a socket wrench on the fittings on either end. Took a lot of
>oomph.
>
>Also related - Chinook has just changed the hourglass they sell to a
>very stiff plastic. When you buy a replacement hourglass, get the one
>with the webbing included since the new hourlgass is taller.
>
>I haven't tried it yet, but I have enough problems with the rubber joint
>causing my board to flip upside down when the sail is in the water and I
>expect the hard plastic will make this worse. Also, I loosened a mast
>track using a mechanical joint, so now I'm leary of losing the
>shock-absorber quality of the rubber. Anyone have any experience with
>these?
>

>Ken Poulton
>poulton@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
>
>"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to
>live in the real world." -- Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden

Paul A. Tong
North American Sales Finance
Cisco Systems, 170 West Tasman Drive, SJ-D-2, San Jose, California 95134-1706
EMAIL: patong@cisco.com-DeleteThis VOICE: 408.526.6272 FAX: 408.526.7864