Re: windsight cards

From: steve shugart (steves@malik.rose.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jun 19 1995 - 09:04:39 PDT

From: steve shugart <steves@malik.rose.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: windsight cards
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 95 9:04:39 PDT
Full-Name: steve shugart
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]

> Has anybody outthere had much experience with the Windsight card?
> bottom line: does it help get more sailing in?
>
> thanks jmurdy@tds-hsc.com-DeleteThis

        I've had Windsight for about 3 years now, like Ken I use it to get
a confirmation on the forecast for the Bay Area. Last year when the windgraph
was working at Sherman, I would use it to Calibrate against other sources ( in
 other words, to torture myself if I missed a good day). They should add this
feature back.

        I've found it useful for Maui and the Gorge, southern Oregon coast
for predicting the long term weather, before committing to the drive and
time away from my family. Long term forecasting is difficult, but I've found
them to be fairly accurate, as long as the whether wasn't totally screwy
like the past months.

        While in the Gorge last year, I used Windsight it to decide whether to head east.
or west, during the day. If the wind died at Swell, I could find out what the
conditions were at the rest of the sites.

        Windsight has dropped the usage readings on their computer software
and this leaves me wondering how much time I've used or have left. They
have my VISA and just add time as needed. At the end of the season, I am
going to total the bill.

        I'll probably buy the COTW, because I've spent a lot of time this
year calling windtalkers and Windsight. For me the biggest expense of Windsurfing,
is the Drive (no less than 1-1/2 hours, one way) and the time. The features
of Windsight and COTW, eliminate wasted gas and time.

steves@malik.rose.hp.com-DeleteThis