Re: Broken Universal & Rescue (long)

From: Kirk Lindstrom (kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jun 14 1995 - 07:25:12 PDT

Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 07:25:12 -0700
From: Kirk Lindstrom <kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: Gr8Jibe@aol.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Broken Universal & Rescue (long)

Great report. After reading my SFBA newsletter yesterday, I will make
the time to write-up my nearly a dozen self_rescues.

Great idea. Thanks for suggesting it. I will add a spare nut to my
pack.
> I learned a lot that day. I learned that you can tie your mast base to the
> mast track. You should carry a nut with you, threaded onto a piece of line,
> with stopper knots about two inches apart on both sides of the nut. You can
> slide this nut into the mast track, pull on the line to snug the stopper knot
> under the nut, and use that line to attach your rig to the board. (I
> recommend you carry the nut already on the piece of line.)

Another idea is to tie the rig to the front footstraps and sail in (or
body drag) backwards....

1) A sail in the air is easier to see
2) It gets you closer to shore
3) the wind will work to your advantage keeping you closer to the other
    sailors in an ebb tide.
4) The effort of sailing will generate energy to keep you warm.

> The equipment I was using is from ART (Fanatic), but Chinook uses the same
> idea--a stainless pin inserted into a plate mounted to the board. I
> understand they narrow down to 1/4" to attach to the bottom of the universal
> joint.

I wonder if we could do some sort of a large survey, maybe thru
"Windsurfing", on how many hours equipment lasts so we can replace it
before it gets close to the -2 sigma breakdown time?

> I've heard differing reports of how frequently these pins or plain 1/4"
> stainless bolts break. Who knows of others who've had the same problem?
>
> Bill

Kirk out