3rd Sun/Mon

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Jun 13 1995 - 00:13:15 PDT

Date: Tue, 13 Jun 1995 00:13:15 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: 72017.461@compuserve.com-DeleteThis, Fred_Sporon-Fiedler@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Gerry_Owen@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Phaman@ccmail.apldbio.com-DeleteThis, Walt_Menge@hp5400.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, cleland@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, cord@hpoemb.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis, coussens@hplgcc.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, dan_acosta@fmc.com-DeleteThis, gtsai@hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, jlabat@us.oracle.com-DeleteThis, lenb@ssd.intel.com-DeleteThis, mfabrega@raynet.COM-DeleteThis, missimer@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, schofiel@sid.hp.com-DeleteThis, sjn@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: 3rd Sun/Mon

=============== Sun 11 Jun 95 - 3rd - 6.2,5.2/8'8,257 (185 lb)

Michael and I met at 3rd. Due to early wind and an ebb tide, there
was only one spot left when I arrived at 1:30. We later "persuaded"
a woman with two spots to share when Michael arrived.

    Editorial: parking at 3rd is precious, folks! Please park straight
    in and close to the next car so we at least make good use of what
    little space we have.

While I was waiting, I rigged up my 5.2/257 - what I hoped to sail.
When Michael arrived, I also rigged my 6.2/8'8 - what would work
at the time. We launched at 3:00 and I was happy with my 6.2, while
Michael was fine on 4.8/8'10. Go figure.

By 3:30, though, Michael switched down to his 8'6, and around 4:00 I was
getting worked over on the 6.2 in the channel, so I swapped for the
5.2/257. After that, we sailed powered and flying. Swell was pretty
small on the near side of the channel (due to westerly direction, I
think), but well-formed up to 4-5 feet on the far side of the channel.
Air was 3-5 feet, but our landings were mostly pretty bad. (How many
flat landings can I do in one day? Too many.)

Towards the end the swell got more chaotic. Around 6:00, it was backing
off a bit, but we eaked out a plane all the way back in.

Smiles all around.

=============== Mon 12 Jun 95 - 3rd - 6.2,5.2/8'8,257 (185 lb)

More of the same predicted, so I returned to the scene of the flyin'.
In fact, it was very like Sunday, with 6.0 the call until about 4:00.
I unfortunately, got in the water at 3:45 with my 6.2/8'8, so I was
back pretty soon to rig down to 5.2/257.

Just like Sunday, the far side of the channel was rippin'. A little
more wind from 4:30 to 5:00 - I was wayy powered. I managed to make
more of my landings tail-first, but still wasn't sailing away from a
lot of them. After 5:00 it slowly eased off. By 5:30 it was
getting quite holey - as I sailed in I was alternately powered up
and marginal, and once I sailed into a huge hole and had to wait for
wind to waterstart.

More smiles.