Sherman Fri. and Sat.

From: Edward W. Scott (shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sun Jun 11 1995 - 21:28:36 PDT

Date: Sun, 11 Jun 1995 21:28:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Edward W. Scott" <shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Sherman Fri. and Sat.

        Friday at the End of the Road, 7-8 pm

        After slogging through HELL traffic in the East Bay (shoulda known
better), and picking up my new mast at Windsurf Diablo, hit the water at
7. Sailed 5.5 on my slalom board for an hour sesh at the end of the ebb.
Was able to stay upwind, but the ramps weren't that good. Water was nice
and toasty in my 4 mil suit, and was overall a nice day, but it backed off
abruptly at 8. Reports were that the winds were fairly decent, about 5.0
most of the afternoon, with Robyn on a 4.7 on her Stinger. So, I spent
 the night at Rocky's, hoping for better wind the next morning.

        Saturday Dawn Patrol, End of the Road, 6:00 - 10:15 am

        Very disappointing start after being kept awake all night by the
trees hitting the side of the mobile home. It was especially
disappointing because the ebb was peaking around 7:00 am. Only Jovan
(approx. 145#) and one other guy were out on 5.0's, and were spending
most of their time slogging, although Jovan did catch a couple of major
league airs. It amazes me how someone like that can get major league air
in such marginal conditions. It backed off almost completely at 6:15, and
everyone that was out came in. I finished my coffee, and Instead of
moaning and groaning about it, I rigged my 5.5 again, and got out my
slalom board. After putting my wetsuit and harness on, I looked at the
water. I turned to Robyn and said, "Do you see what I see? White caps!"
I immediately rigged down to my 4.9 and was first on the water about 7:00
am.

        I planed immediately off the launch and sailed for about an hour
when it cranked up a notch. Switched to the Pintail, and was overpowered
to slightly under for the next hour and a half, but it was fun. The ramps
were nicely formed, but small, and I eve n made a couple of starboard
jumps! The normal wholes and junk on the far side played havok with my
jibes, especially on the slalom board. Got very wholely by 9:45, and
backed off almost completely around 10:15 when slack hit, and everyone got
off water . I did a mini-walk-of-shame from the downwind launch when my
Pintail couldn't plane anymore, and I was too stubborn to switch back to
my slalom board. My arms were feeling it the rest of the weekend, though,
so it was well worth it. I guess it shaped up for afternoon as well,
since the pager was hitting 25 later that day.

        Natural Bridges looked nice after hearing that SF was socked in
(never sailed there) when we ended up in Santa Cruz later Saturday (about
3 pm). Whitecaps all over the place, and very flat water. My friend Jim
(about 145#) sailed his 4.5 Simmer, but I deferred, spending time with
the wife and kid, and eating barbeque. Besides, the arms were too worked
to be of use anyway.

        How was the demo and sailing at Coyote, anyway?

-shrEd
Ed Scott
shred@netcom.com-DeleteThis