Re: Sherman 6/1pm

From: Gregg Holtmeier (Gregg.Holtmeier@quickmail.llnl.gov-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jun 02 1995 - 12:19:49 PDT

Date: 2 Jun 1995 11:19:49 -0800
From: "Gregg Holtmeier" <Gregg.Holtmeier@quickmail.llnl.gov-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Sherman 6/1pm
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

>Sailed Sherman Island Thurs evening on a medium flood, starting with 4.7
>(180 lbs, 9' board), down to 4.2 for a bit, after which most of us gave up as

>the wind built to 3.5 and beyond... unbelievable! I let go of my rig in a
fall
>and the WIND blew it 30 yds upriver! On the lee side of the levee, the WIND
>was picking up rigged sails and blowing them 50yds out into the weeds.

Last night at Bethany Res., the big guys like me (200 lbs.) got blown off the
water on 3.5's. A 3.0 may have worked for me. Smaller people would have needed
<3.0's. Most people didn't have anything smaller than a 3.5 with them. It was
soooooo windy I saw a windmill fry up and start a fire and saw a mallard duck
on land get blown over. Most of the windmills were shut off to prevent damage
from the high winds.

Gregg Holtmeier