Re: 6.+ sail recomendations

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon May 22 1995 - 14:12:18 PDT

Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 14:12:18 -0700
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: 6.+ sail recomendations
Cc: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis

> From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
> 'Jim Paugh says:'
> > > From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
> > > 'Andrew Davidson says:'
> > >
> > > At your size, is 6.0 enough of a jump? I think you should be looking
> > > at 6.5-7.0.
> >
> > NO WAY! Not for the bay area. I weigh 225lbs, and rarely rig my 6.9
> > race sail.
>
> I weight 170 lbs, and I often find that 6.5 is not enough sail when
> the wind is below 18. And we have had a LOT of days below 18 this
> month, haven't we? Isn't the unusually low wind the reason that the
> poster inquired on this issue in the first place? A lot depends
> on the kind of board you have as well. A super-light carbon epoxy
> board is going to plane easily in light wind with less sail.

I pretty much sail everyday that it's windy, and I've yet to rig my
6.9. Certainly, this is very subjective issue. There were some days
that I would have been more powered on my 6.9, and maybe even a couple
of "6.9" days, where I opted to get some other things done (we get so
spoiled here in the bay area :). But I find that quite often, rigging
my 6.9 doesn't really buy me much more than what I get from my 6.3. And
if it's light for the 6.9, it's more of a liability, due to schlogging
with the extra weight and size. I just don't think, for someone who's
biggest sail is a 5.3, that a jump to 6.5-7.0 is warranted, race sail
or otherwise (Yes, I know about the big range of race sails). But
definitely, we're all making a lot of assumptions, giving advice based
on our own personal preferences, without knowing much about the
original requestor's ability, equipment, or style of sailing.

Anyhow, nothing personal, Will, I just get a little touchy when someone
refers to a 190lb person as big, and they should be on a huge sail :)

~Jim
Forsyth 9'2" no-nose, 8'6" epoxy Clam; Forsyth 8'10" under construction
Rushwind Race Sails (6.9-5.0)/Rushwind Convertibles (5.0-3.4)
Height 6'8", Weight 225lbs (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)