Re: 6.+ sail recomendations

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri May 19 1995 - 13:59:53 PDT

Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 13:59:53 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: 6.+ sail recomendations

> > > After being skunked wed. at coyote point, I have decided it is time
> > > to buy a big sail. By big, I mean something around 6.0. (I already
> > > have a 5.3) My question is, given I weight 190lbs, and that my big
> > > board is 125l. What should I get?

I'd get a 6.2. I'd get a 3- or 4-cam sail - these are race or
high-end recreational. As of this year I am sailing w/o a 5.7
and the 5.2-6.2 step seems to be okay, *with a good sail*.
I have used a 6.2 for years on light days (I'm 185) and I just got a
7.0. I don't go when I *expect* to need a 7.0, but if I get there and
that's what's required, I can sail.

If you want cheap, get a used race sail. The only downside is the
wide luff sleave of modern race sails hold a *lot* of water (if you
ever fall in, that is :-)

If you want more ease of use, get a high-end recreational sail.

Either way, the key feature of these sails is huge wind range - you
can plane in 15 knots and they will keep working until around 23 knots
(a little more for the race).

As to brands, I will always recommend Windwings. Amazing wind range,
bombproof construction, great local service, local manufacture.
My 91's are still in great condition (and all I do is roll them up and
leave them in the car).

"Go ahead. Make my day." -- Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood)