Re: Minimum tide at Dunbarton Bridge?

From: Jeff Hodges (hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed May 10 1995 - 14:00:18 PDT

Subject: Re: Minimum tide at Dunbarton Bridge?
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed, 10 May 95 14:00:18 -0700
From: Jeff Hodges <hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis>

well here's what I know from driving across the bridge for upteen years and
sailing there some over the last year or two...

low tide is essentially unsailable period. tides that are billed as +1 or 2ft
or whatever leave long stretches of inches deep water on both sides of the
channel and ones that are lower leave mud flats. I suppose it depends on how
much wading thru the muck you want to do to get to deep enough water. I've
never tried it per se, but have observed low tides closely as much as I can
when I cross the bridge (cuz its a very convenient sailing site for me).

My approach to that site is that it is sailable from roughly 1/2 way into a
flood on thru about 1/2 of the ebb, and that's worked fairly well for me. One
could probably be more agressive but you'd just have to go out there and check
out the conditions. So it works out that this sailable period matches up with
the afternoon wind about every other week.

Anybody else have observations to contribute?

Jeff