The Lemon/Lime Monster

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon May 08 1995 - 00:33:09 PDT

Date: Mon, 8 May 1995 00:33:09 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: 72017.461@compuserve.com-DeleteThis, Fred_Sporon-Fiedler@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Gerry_Owen@hpctg.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, Phaman@ccmail.apldbio.com-DeleteThis, Walt_Menge@hp5400.desk.hp.com-DeleteThis, alison@pyramid.com-DeleteThis, cleland@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, cord@hpoemb.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis, coussens@hplgcc.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, dan_acosta@fmc.com-DeleteThis, ghs@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, gtsai@hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, jlabat@us.oracle.com-DeleteThis, lenb@ssd.intel.com-DeleteThis, matt@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, mfabrega@raynet.COM-DeleteThis, missimer@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, schofiel@sid.hp.com-DeleteThis, sjn@hpisod9.cup.hp.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: The Lemon/Lime Monster

============ Sat 6 May 95 - Coyote - 7.0/9'1 (187 lb)

The Lemon/Lime Monster

The report at 2:00 was only 14 knots, but Windsight said Sunday would be
worse, so I went up to Coyote. Spent quite a while yakking with Fred,
Gerry and Fariborz. We walked up the beach to inspect the dead 4'
leopard shark on the beach. Finally, around 3:30 it seemed to be
picking up, and a bunch of people rigged 6's. I eventually followed
suit, but the 4:00 report was still only 14 knots and I was paranoid
about how holey it looked, so I rigged the Lemon/Lime Monster - a green
and yellow 94 Windwing 7.0 Race Pro.

At first, the 7.0 was just right - I was powered up in a lot of holes
that others were slogging in. Eventually, it got to be a bit much. I
sailed for a while with Fariborz - he was edging me out on his 6.5. As
the wind slowly rose, I just kind of hung on, feeling kind of annoyed at
the sail for getting hard to handle, but deciding it wasn't bad enough
to have to rerig. Later on, I found Fariborz again, who was now just
leaving me behind - but he was powered on a 5.5. The swell got to
pretty decent 2 foot sets by then and steep enough for some little jumps.

After I got off the water at 6:30, discovered it was blowing 20+ knots
(the 6:50 report was 24 knots). For a sail with a wind minimum that
I estimate at 12 knots, this is pretty damn good. After that, I decided
my only problem was that the sail was so stable that I didn't know when
to rig down. I guess I'll keep it after all.

Late in the day, Fariborz hit something in the water that he said was
dark and twice the size of his board. He hit it full speed (went
flying, of course) but didn't ding his fin, so it must have been kind of
soft. For some reason, he didn't feel inclined to paddle around and
find out what he had hit. :-)

I demo'd another ASD 9'1 - this was "Diane's board". It has a somewhat
older outline and less volume in the tail than Ted Huang's board. It
also has more tucked rails up front than Ted's board. The fin was a
Finworks Wing-series blade. I'm not sure why, but I spun out much
less than I did on the other board with the Series II fin. Also, the
times I did spin out, I could usually recover w/o catapulting,
presumably due to the additional tuck in the rails. I did not find a
really comfortable stance on the board, however. It felt like the CFX
8'8 and the '93 or '94 Bay Slalom I tried last year - it often required
extreme back-foot pressure and zero or negative front-foot pressure.
John suggested that I need to run farther back in the mast track.

On Sunday, it was windy, but the direction was too westerly, so I
suspect that Windsight was right. I got Kate a new sewing machine for
her birthday, so now it's my turn for a new board.

"Duct tape is like the force: it has a light side, and a dark side, and
it holds the universe together." -- Carl Zwanzig