Re: WIND_THRESH on Web Server?

From: Contractor (Francois_Jouaux@NeXT.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu May 04 1995 - 14:07:18 PDT

From: Francois Jouaux (Contractor) <Francois_Jouaux@NeXT.COM-DeleteThis>
Date: Thu,  4 May 95 14:07:18 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: WIND_THRESH on Web Server?

Hi all,

As I am not lucky enough to go windsurfing on weekday afternoons anymore, I
try at work to squeeze in some time on my windsurfing project.
It is a Web server displaying a bay area weather map with current conditions.
This is a clickable map.

When you click on a site on the map, it will show you some wind statistic
graphs (last 24h, last week, last month, and whatever month you want) in the
same format as the windsight ones, for each of the 40 or so locations you can
get from a "Ken Poulton" email.

I have a database server already running and retrieving the data from Ken
Poulton emails automatically. It's accumulating data at a fast rate... (about
50Meg a month).

This is not reliable enough yet. Rather than emails, I wonder if it would be
possible for me to get the files Ken is sending every hour from an anonymous
ftp site. I could pole this site every hour. Then I could really start an
efficient database server. I wouldn't have to worry about my mail server
running or not to receive the data.

I am collecting pictures of windsurfing locations around the bay too. I would
like to get a few scanned pictures for each location, each picture for a
different condition. For example if you click on the San Francisco Airport
area and the wind is blowing 30kts you would get a Web page with the graphs
and a picture of Coyote or 3rd ave cranking at 30+. So, if you can, use your
cameras !

All this makes it a big project but I hope to complete it, someday...
Any input or advice is welcome. It might be available in an early form (no
graphs, no clickable map) within a week, updated 4 times a day.
The rest will come later (and updated 24 times a day hopefully).

-Francois Jouaux