Re: Wed at Davenport

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Apr 24 1995 - 09:22:32 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Wed at Davenport
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 09:22:32 -0700 (PDT)

'steve shugart says:'
> Recently I was in Maui and watching the late afternoon ~ 5:00 pm sailing
> Hookipa in about 18 knots or less. It amazed me how these guys could sail
> in the Logo high waves with so little wind and lots of rocks and vana
> so close. Their ability to make it out through the sets is a combination
> of 1) No Fear! 2) Sponsored Equipment supplier 3) In Shape and 4) Practice,
> Practice, Practice ...................

That's not the same situation. In the case where you still have your
rig, you set up a waterstart between sets and sail in.

In the classic "washing machine" scenario you have lost your rig, and
you are swimming between sets. You get pounded toward shore by the
next breaking wave that hits you, then you get pulled out to sea as
the shorebreak pulls back out. Supposedly it is next to impossible to
swim against this.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis