Re: Race Sails

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 13 1995 - 18:29:12 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Race Sails
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 18:29:12 -0700 (PDT)

'Ken Poulton says:'
> I now figure anything less than race or top-end recreational sails are a waste
> of time and money.

My own view keeps evolving, but today I'm with Ken for anything above
4.7 conditions. Below 4.7, my own preference is for a sail that helps
me survive the conditions rather than achieve maximum speed. Starting
somewhere around 4.2, and definitely at 3.7, I want a sail that can
absorb tons and tons and tons of wind and huge gusts, but not leave me
feeling totally out of control. For me a race sail is the best thing
to have down to about 5.2. At 4.7 I could go either way. At 4.2 I
want a race sail if I am on flat water (San Luis), but a bump-and-jump
sail if I'm on big swell (Gorge, Third Ave., etc.). At 3.2, I'm
fearing for my life, and speed isn't even on my top 10 list. At 2.8,
I'm thinking serious bodily injury; where's the door? My dream
quiver this year would be Northwave Race sails for 4.7 and above, and
Hurricane sails for 2.8, 3.2, 3.7, and 4.2.

I remember when Ken and I were in the Gorge last Summer we were
fortunate enough to have an overpowered 3.7 day at Rowena. I was on a
3.7 Hurricane, and he was on (I think) a 3.7 Windwing Race. I loved
the Hurricane, because I could feel all of the excess power spill
away, and I stayed in control. Ken wanted that extra 10% of power,
and I think he preferred the race sail, even in those conditions.
I've simply learned the hard way over several years that control is
pretty hard to get under 4.7 conditions, unless you are fortunate
enough to practice sailing a few times each week. I'm not that
fortunate, so I turn to my equipment to give me the control in nuclear
conditions.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis