Re: more detail for Save 3rd Ave.

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Apr 07 1995 - 23:37:31 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: more detail for Save 3rd Ave.
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 23:37:31 -0700 (PDT)

'Ken Poulton says:'
> > 5. Enlarging the parking lot while all the machinery is there would be a nice
> > addition, probably this will have to be financed from a concession on sight
> > in the future. We should plan to remind the City that better parking would be
> > appreciated.
>
> I wonder if we can apply any BCDC pressure to supply adequate parking
> here. I worry that they'll designate a few dozen spots in a larger parking
> lot for public use (like the hotels near SFO) and we'll end up fighting
> with the building owners. Truly adequate parking is going to be about
> the size of Coyote: 200-300 cars.

This sounds like a pretty critical step. Short of threatening a
lawsuit of our own (subject to finding a windsurfing lawyer who wants
to do the work pro bono), our only real power is with the BCDC. We
should get them to very explicitly tell Foster City that the
construction and development plans should not encroach on the existing
access *and* parking.

Beyond this, it seems to me that now is the time to make our case with
the BCDC that Foster City never really fulfilled its pledge to provide
adequate parking. It seems to me that the best defense is a good offense,
and our position should be that there was never enough parking in the first
place, and that the new construction plans should include building out
the original parking lot. We can make this argument based on the
obvious overflow of windsurfers on the site during the summer that
has been there from day one.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis