Re: ABK Instruction Clinics ?

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 06 1995 - 16:27:40 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: ABK Instruction Clinics ?
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 16:27:40 -0700 (PDT)

'MINKIN@HOOVER.STANFORD.EDU-DeleteThis says:'
> I went to ABK at Rio when I was at about the same level as your wife and HATED
> it! I must say that I am in a minority, however, as most people are very
> positive about their experience. To me it was like Army boot camp! It was
> also VERY HOT in Rio that weekend and there was almost no wind. I think I
> might have enjoyed it more at a location other than the Delta. The tides,
> current, rocks, etc. made it very intimidating. Try an Excursions
> Extraordinaires vacation for her - PRIMO! Or, maybe an ABK somewhere else. I
> heard there will be one here in the bay this summer. My best instructional
> experiences have been with Excursions, however.

As a general remark, I think that until someone has water-starting
down pretty well, and until they can fight against at least a minimal
current, that a location like Rio is going to be frustrating. The
problem is that the current is just too strong, except at slack and ebb
tides, to allow for effective beginner teaching. There is a place
up river (Windy Cove?) that is a sheltered lagoon, and that is the one
Rio location that would be good for a beginner level camp.

Maybe a better strategy is to hire someone for one-on-one coaching
with her in the sheltered cove at Coyote. Once she has the
waterstarts down, and can handle pointing, then she would be ready for
ABK in Rio.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis